Monday, January 7, 2008

What cost fitness?

I was standing in the shower this morning, rinsing shampoo out of my hair and calculating how much my 3-times-a-week workout program costs on an annual basis when I heard someone pounding on the front door.

It wasn't that polite Fed Ex we've-left-your-package knock. It was the your-car-is-blocking-the-neighbor's-driveway; the we've-got-a-report-of-an-assault type of banging. The kind where you know the person knocking isn't going to go away and let you finish your shower.

So I jumped out, grabbed a towel and wrapped it around me, and dashed to the front door. I yanked it open to discover one of my neighbor's contractors on the porch.

"Oops," he said with a big grin. "Terry said you'd have a key."

I dripped over to the mail table, got the key, and handed it to him.

Workouts: $1,500-$2,250 a year.

Being able to comfortably answer the front door wearing only a bath towel: Priceless.

No comments: